Column of Marcus Aurelius and the Sundial



The Column of Marcus Aurelius and the Sundial were great. This Column has been standing since around 100 AD in its original location and it's huge.   It has inscription of relief  of Marcus' life and triumphs, (he was a emperor of Rome in 100 AD), and then his statue on top.The holes in it are there to shed light into the interior staircase that winds to the top. This sundial was really neat, it is 2600 years old and still standing! The Etruscans used it, it was the center of their city. (Etruscans were the first habitants of Rome before it was taken over by the Romans 2600 years ago)

4 comments:

Ruthanne said...

Hey Karen! Wow those pictures are amazing! I'm sure it's more amazing to see in person! It looks like you are having so much fun and learning a lot. You should be a professional tour guide! Keep the posts coming!

Ruthanne said...

Hey Karen, it's Jon.
Italy looks pretty nice, it reminds me a lot of Idaho. I think the fountain is a lot bigger here in the states, but the italian version is nice. The sears robuck near Idaho Falls has one of those column things too. Their's tells time and has a pizza oven in the base. Way to go IDAHO! I bet you feel pretty sheepish for going all the way to Italy for stuff that's in Idaho.
(with the best italian accent) I kid, I a kid you it's a what I a do! Everything looks amazing, keep us posted!

Coleen Ure said...

Karen! I finally got internet set up here in Atlanta, I've been so excited to see your updates. It looks amazing. I've been reading about the history of Rome right now so it's so cool to see and learn more. Live it up!

Karen Ward said...

Man I feel like an idiot for coming all the way to Rome when I could have seen a pizza oven from the ancient Idahoans.. My friends all got a laugh out of Jon's comment ahah. Thanks for the comments, I savor them!

Copyright © 2008 - The Life of Karen - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template