Tiber River






Ciao. Yesterday only Emily and I made it out of the hotel because Shell is in Germany and Meg is sick, so I didn't want to see anything major or else the other girls would feel left out. So Emily and I started navigating around, and it actually ended up being one of my favorite days.  First I thought it would be neat to go see the Jewish ghetto. This is where the pope banished the Jews to a 3 block radius, and they were forced to live there for 300 years in this walled ghetto. Because the Jews couldn't expand horizontally they built vertical additions to their houses which created dark and narrow streets full of filth. The Roman ghetto was poverty stricken. The pope banished them to this undesirable part of the city because it was next to the Tiber river which flooded regularly. 

Next we made our way passed the ghetto and found an ancient theater.  This is called Teatro de  Marcelo. This was built in around 70 BC! It held operas, plays and an occasional execution.
Then we were at the Tiber River which was beautiful. We took the bridge across to Tiber Island which is a manmade little Island in the middle of the Tiber.  I found a boat and we paid to get a nice ride around the river.  It came with an audio tour so I was able to learn about the history of the river, and all the fancy bridges built on it.  We listened to Italian music as we enjoyed a nice relaxing ride up the river.  The boat took us right up to Castel Sant'Angelo, which was a fortress for the popes that I have been wanting to go see. We climbed up to the bridge and made our way to the huge Castel only to find it's closed on Mondays. That's ok, Ill go back with shell and meg.  My book says that the view from the top of the Castel is more soaring and dramatic than the finale of a opera! so Ill be back there. Then we stopped at a little cafe and ate a late lunch. (We're so used to the constant dull ache of hunger, that we forget to eat). We did some shopping, I got some more souvenirs and gifts for you all..   then we got back on the boat, sailed some more, made our way back to the ghetto stop and then headed home to starving Meghan.
Rome is so beautiful, everyday is a new adventure. 

3 comments:

Coleen Ure said...

wuz up karen?? Well Ruthanne just left yesterday so I'm even more excited for you to get here. We had fun sightseeing around atlanta. Good news: now I know some cool places to take you! I can be your tour guide and give you a break...hehe...

Camille Schmidt said...

Karen-
Sorry I've been so lame and haven't figured out how to leave a comment until now! I've loved reading about your trip, I'm so jealous. Gavin's been wondering where you are. I told him you went far away on an airplane and he said "we need to go find her, we got to find her!" Seems like you've been gone for a long time, can't wait to see you again. How's the leg? Be careful!

Karen Ward said...

hah thanks coleen I look forward to being tour guided around for once. Cant wait to come out and see you guys.

Camille its so good to hear from you! And that makes me so happy to hear Gavin notices Im gone and he wants to find me! Oh I miss you guys so much! It feels like Ive been gone forever too, I think Im ready to come home. But then I will have to up and leave again right when I get home.. I look forward to seeing you guys. The leg is better, the shin still hasnt flattened out, its still tender to touch, but Im sure Im okay now. See you soon!

Copyright © 2008 - The Life of Karen - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template